NASA & Industry Internships
NASA Center Internship Opportunities
NASA Centers across the U.S. offer several internships. Most take place in the Summer, and some offer Fall and Spring opportunities. Below is a list of all the current opportunities available. Many of these internships require funding for student stipends and travel expenses. Students from Nebraska are eligible for this kind of funding through the NASA Nebraska Space Grant. While many of the internship opportunities below have their own application processes, in order to apply for funding from the NASA Nebraska Space Grant you will need to complete our Student Internship Application form. This form is available at the link below. Often times a NASA center will receive your application and they may be interested in inviting you to come work with them, however they may not have the funds available to pay you. They will then turn to our program for funding. We will need to have your Student Internship Application form on file to consider you for funding. Please know these internships are VERY competitive and only the most qualified applicants will be considered for funding. The application process can be lengthy, we encourage you to get an early start on the applications and feel free to contact our office if you have any questions. Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
To Mail Official Transcripts or other correspondence use this address:
University of Nebraska at Omaha
NASA Nebraska Space Grant
6001 Dodge Street
Omaha, NE 68182-0589
Below are details for the many opportunities available for Nebraska students.
Internship Final Report
All funded interns are required to submit a final report to the NASA Nebraska Space Grant. Click the link below to download the internship report form. Please be sure to complete all sections and pay close attention to submission requirements outlined on page 3 of the form. Please refer to your award letter for your final report due date. If you have any questions feel free to call Melissa Wragge at 402.554.4060 or email at NASA.Nebraska@unomaha.edu.
NASA Nebraska Space Grant Internship Video Clip
NASA Center Internships: Student On-Line Application for Recruiting Interns, Fellows, and Scholars (SOLAR) System
Deadline: Nebraska Space Grant will accept applications as long as the online sytem allows.
Apply for up to 15 NASA Center intern opportunities with ONE application! Summer 2013 internship applications are accepted from November 1, 2012 to March 15, 2013
NASA had deployed a single agency-wide system for the recruitment, application, selection and career development of undergraduate and graduate students in science, technology, engineering and mathematic disciplines. Students access information about internship and fellowship opportunities across NASA to engage in research, aerospace education and space exploration.
Ability to search and apply for all types of NASA internships/fellowship/scholarship opportunities in one system.
- A single internship or fellowship application places you in the applicant pool for consideration by mentors for most NASA internships and fellowships.
- Assistance with application process and in understanding desired skills.
- Standard application and selection processes across NASA.
- Standard NASA schedule for applying to spring, summer and fall sessions.
- Recruitment expanded to include all type of institutions across the country.
- Career and leadership opportunity workshops available.
- Select up to 15 specific opportunities for interest per session.
- More efficiency in NASA processes to expedite the offers.
- More efficient on-boarding processes once offer is accepted.
- Ability to re-apply for future sessions by updating existing application from previous session.
To Apply: Complete the Student Internship Application form (found at the top of this page) and email it to NASA.Nebraska@unomaha.edu with a current resume and unofficial transcripts (transcrips do not have to be official for this opportunity, you can email or mail them to the address provided above). Letters of Recommendation are encouraged but not required and can be mailed to the address above.
Complete the SOLAR application here.
For additional information, visit http://intern.nasa.gov.
Pointers on Ways to Strengthen Ones Application
1. Complete your application as early as possible.
2. Request your first Letter of Recommendation from someone who can submit it quickly. This will help expedite completion of your application.
3. Only apply to opportunities that you really want to be considered for.
Then identify recommenders who can tailor their letters specific to each opportunity.
4. Periodically call the OSSI administrator at the center you are most interested in being selected for and politely ask about the status of your application.
5. Responses to biography or essay questions should be accurate, succinct, error free, interesting, personable with a snippet of levity to entertain the reader.
6. In your response to why you're a good fit for a given opportunity, tell how your skills can benefit the mentor rather than giving a recitation of your accomplishments.
If you have found your own internship opportunity and would like to apply for funding please complete the Student Internship Application form (found at the top of this page) and email it with a current resume to NASA.Nebraska@unomaha.edu. Letters of Recommendation are encouraged but not required and can be mailed to the address above.
On the Student Internship Application form you will need to provide a description of the project you will work on, the time frame for the internship, and contact information for your mentor for this internship.
Download information about the Nondiscrimination and Equal Opportunity in NASA Assisted Programs: Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Related Laws.